Tuesday, August 30, 2016

First Day in the Big K

Yesterday marks Stephanie's first day of school!  I wanted to take the traditional first day of school pic, and told her I would cut out the letter K for her and let her decorate it.  I envisioned an extended craft period for this project as an anticipatory event leading up to the first day.  Instead, at 7pm, on our way home from the Greensboro Science Center, after I informed her that we were eating dinner and going straight up to bed, Stephanie says, "What about my K?"  Oh, right.  Whoops.  I promised her I would get it cut and put supplies out, and if she beat us up, she could work on it, otherwise we would do it at breakfast.  We made it at breakfast, the morning of the first day, but we made it!
We got her off to school, with plenty of time to spare.  We parked in the side lot, which is fun because you can walk the nature trail to the school.  Gwen woke up just in time, so her and Kevin were able to come as well.  Stephanie settled right in, and barely took the time to say goodbye.  
I was really pleased with our well run morning and our prep the previous night to make it happen.  We are generally really good at this, and I am rarely late for early morning appointments, even with both kids.  Late last night, though, it hit me.  This wasn't a dentist appointment that we have to manage to arrive on time for once every six months.  This is now a five day a week job for many years.  On the bright side, this morning went just as smoothly, so we are off to the right start.  It really helps that Kevin doesn't have to leave for work until after Stephanie has to leave for school and Gwen doesn't usually wake that early, so I can focus on her while Gwen sleeps AND I can leave Gwen home while I drop off.
Gwen is managing okay without Stephanie.  Stephanie went to camp this summer, so we had some practice.  She is happy just wandering around the house and hanging out with me.
Oh, and how did Stephanie like school.  Initially she said it was not that fun.  And then she spent twenty minutes enthusiastically telling me all of the things they did, at which time I pointed out that it sounded like fun to me.  She then corrected her original statement and said that it wasn't as fun as she had thought it would be.  Maybe she thought there would be carnival rides? 


Sporting her well rounded school gear.  She has all of her bases covered- Star Wars to Hello Kitty.


No comments:

Post a Comment