Sunday, June 23, 2013

Happy Easter-ween

Recently at the library, wearing her Jack-O-Lantern costume in June, Stephanie selected only one book, "Happy Easter, Curious George".  Which is all part of a day that illustrated Stephanie's spectacular memory, but less than firm grip on season.  Several hours before, at home,  Stephanie asked to look at a book that I had tucked away on a high bookshelf in her room.  It was a little book of prayers that Grams (her great-grandmother that she was named after) sent her.  It is still a little old for her (no pictures), so I put it up for a later time.  In it, was a Halloween card from Grams (these were not sent together, but apparently I thought a nice place to store a Halloween card was in a book of prayers).  She was super intrigued with the card, as Grams had decorated it with some stickers.  I say, "That is the card Grams sent you for Halloween."  Within seconds, Stephanie left the room and bee-lined for my closet and is standing at the door to the attic repeating something completely incoherent to me.  There is possibly nothing that strikes dread into Kevin and myself like opening the attic in front of Stephanie.  This is the place where we have stored away the objects of Stephanie's babyhood, and she always finds a treasure to insist on dragging out, usually her bumbo or highchair.  I tried not to open the attic, but she was very insistent and I was a little curious, so I relented.  She spied an orange hat in the Halloween box and says (now clearer to me since I realize what she is asking for), "Jack-o-lantern"-  which she never did wear on Halloween but insisted on wearing now.  And to Target.  And to the library... where we ended up with the Easter book.  We read the book at nap time, and Stephanie jumped up mid story to gather all of her finger puppets which she remembered had been in her Easter eggs.  It is surprising to me what she remembers and associates while being completely oblivious to the finer points of holidays.  I am sure it is all very typical, but funny to me none the less.  

No comments:

Post a Comment