Monday, June 10, 2013

I sleep with my horn and other medical procedures

Stephanie is as active as ever and not terribly committed to wearing shoes.  Thus she recently ended up with a splinter in her big toe.  I thought it was just dirt, but alas, it did not wash off.  I told her that she had a thorn in her foot, and that Mommy and Daddy were going to remove it.  She seemed okay with that at first.  Then, she must have thought better of it and told me, "I sleep with my horn".  That wasn't going to work, so Kevin got it out, which she handled very well, once we sprayed it with some pain killer spray and let her watch the procedure.  Our other recent adventure was the discovery of a tick on her neck.  A tick.  A disgusting parasite that I have pulled off of myself dozens upon dozens of times, as the woods in Virginia are filthy with the nasty little buggers.  I never thought twice about it... until I find one on Stephanie... at story time at the library.  I took it off with my fingers, saved it in a tissue in my purse, and almost ran out of the room to call my doctor until I realized that I could just text her Godmother/doctor (well, one of her Godmother/doctors, the one that is the kind of doctor that helps people- Sorry, Mary, we love you and are certainly proud to have two Godmothers/doctors, but we won't be calling with medical "emergencies", especially those related to the skin- you're welcome!).  After about a dozen texts with Alaina, I was sufficiently reassured that Stephanie was fine, though I did learn a little about proper tick removal, and apparently my technique is not quite right.  Until 4 days later, and I am suddenly faced with a rash at the site of the bite that is very clearly (to me) a bulls eye.  I run for my camera while simultaneously calling Alaina (who doesn't answer) and then calling Stephanie's actual doctor, only to leave a message for the nurse there and trying not to sound like a total lunatic.  By the time I get the camera, there is no bulls eye, just a little rash.  Another dozen texts to and from Alaina, a returned phone call from the nurse, and a handful of google  image searches again reassures me that Stephanie is fine.  There is an impossibly low chance that Stephanie would have contracted lyme disease, and I completely understand that.  I can acknowledge how irrational I was, even at the time I realized that, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a tick in a tissue in a baggie in my house right now.

1 comment:

  1. Stephie's other Godmother/doctor with skin issues very much appreciates it!!! (Hey, I just figured out I can comment using my old school AIM username!)

    ReplyDelete