Saturday, February 15, 2014

No Bueno!

At some point, Kevin and I picked up the expression "No Bueno" from Alaina.  I'm actually not sure of the standard context in which Alaina uses the expression, but in our house, Kevin and I use it exclusively to refer to something inedible, as in, "No, Stephanie, we don't eat the grapefruit peel, it's no bueno."  And, just as we picked the expression up from Alaina, it was only a matter of time before Stephanie picked it up from us.  At first, she seemed to be using it in our context.  The first time we heard her use it was at my Mom's house.  She got in the play oven and popped out and told Kevin that he could eat her, "but not my feet, they are no bueno."  Weird, yes, but it does make some sense.  Quickly, though, she started using the expression to refer to food she simply doesn't want to eat.  It is really comical to sit at the dinner table and be told, "I don't like that, it's no bueno."  I doubt her teachers at school have no noticed the expression yet, as it is unexpected, but I am waiting for the day that they catch it and ask about it.
Thanks to Dora, this is not Stephanie's only Spanish-  she also says, "gracias" and LOVES when you say "de nada".  Sometimes she says "Thank you for...." just to get you to say "de nada".  We can always tell by the tone that she uses that she is looking for "de nada", and are happy to oblige.  Kevin has a knack for languages; me, not so much, but thus far Stephanie is doing just bueno.
Just realized that I actually have pictures capturing Stephanie's first "No Bueno" moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment