Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Through a new lens

It is never a bad idea to take a look at the world from a different perspective. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to try, but instead I am going the route of viewing the world through an actual new lens- for my camera. If you aren't into cameras, then scroll on and check out the pictures of what we have been up to lately!
My first lens was the "kit" lens that came with my camera. It is a very standard 18-55mm (so it zooms a bit, but not a ton) with an f-stop (aperture size) of 3.5 at the lowest zoom, which is a totally respectable aperture, but something lower would be more ideal in low light situation and also give you that nice portrait image with a sharp focus on a person and a beautifully blurred background.
This is the photo that set off my obsession for a new lens. This was taken with Alaina's Nikon 50mm fixed lens (so no zoom) at f1.8. Canon makes a similar lens and it is very affordable. On the other hand, Alaina has that lens, so I wanted to get something that would expand our options. I also found the 50mm to be zoomed in (if you are tracking, my current lens only goes to 55mm, so this is almost max zoom for my kit lens). I started flirting with a 35mm low aperture lens, but those are $$$. I settled on getting a 40 mm f2.8. Then I spent another 20 hours on the internet and found my "dream" lens- it offered zoom and a low f-stop at a fairly affordable price. It is not made by Canon (Oh, Canon makes a comparable lens for close to $1600- not going to happen!), but instead a Tamaron (28-75mm, f2.8). I bought it used from a reputable site, so the cost was less than half the retail value.
When I got the lens, I was in LOVE! But (big BUT) I have been using it for a while and am not totally satisfied, though am growing more and more satisfied. Here is the deal- I love the photos I get from my zippy little DSLR. Then I upgraded my lens to get even better pictures- but at the same time, I switched from using auto mode to a manual mode (controlling the aperture selection) and I don't think that I have gotten any brilliant photos. Part of this is a learning curve that I hope ends up being well worth the fairly minimal investment, as far as lenses go. It is so hard to judge, as I can't switch to my kit lens and take the same picture for a side by side comparison with the kids. I am also NOT willing to pay more that $200 for a new lens at this time, and that severely limits my options.
While I work all of this out, I am going to go through some of my most recent adventure photos to analyze what exactly I have going with my new camera.

This is a good demo of what my new lens is capable of. I cranked up the f-stop for the first photo and then dropped it down to 2.8 for the second shot. There is that blur I was looking for!
And then I can get some low light photos like this one that I love:


After some casual play with the lens, I took it on the road to the zoo- and I didn't love the results. Part of this is because you don't want to blur the background at the zoo (duh! I was just so in love with the portrait sharpness that it occurred to me too late that this was not the effect you want for the zoo).
I tried really hard to get carousel photos that were amazing, but I was really close to the kids, so it was tough to get good pictures starting at 28mm as a full zoom out. I don't think the pictures are bad- but I just don't know that they are better than the old lens set on auto, especially in an outdoors, high light setting!
The additional zoom over my kit lens was a nice boost in this case.


Fun focus option



I was really happy with the color and light of the helicopter, as that is in a garage type structure, so lower light.


Not a great picture, but this was really low light, so any picture is better than what I have gotten in the past.




Downside: The camera starts at 28mm, so it is hard to get a good angle on things when you are really close, like I was on the carousel.






So overall, I was reasonably happy with my pictures, but I can't say that I couldn't have gotten most of them with my original lens.
The next time I played with the camera, I was back at the zoo- three days later! This time, I was a chaperone for the Kindergarten field trip. I switched back to my kit lens, as I decided the benefits of the new lens aren't significant when somewhere like the zoo.



Looking at these pictures, I see that I don't love the color- which is related to the camera white balance more than the lens. Prior to this zoo trip, I took a bunch of test shots with my new lens and I was also unhappy with the white balance. For the next set of pictures, I still hadn't worked out what the problem was, so the color is also a bit blue-toned. This adventure was to a community egg hunt followed by Stephanie's first T-ball practice.
Cute picture- but a good demonstration of why you don't want to stop the camera all the way down- we were outside, so light wasn't a real issue, so the result of a low f-stop meant that Stephanie was out of focus- living and learning!

The new lens has a bit of a soft focus at the lowest f-stop. I don't think it is necessarily apparent unless you do side by side shots to compare, but I am a little disappointed in not being able to get a really crisp image when the aperture is wide open. However, more reading indicates that this is not atypical for any lens. That means that I should probably be in the market for a lower f-stop, but my options are limited unless I am willing to spend big bucks- which I am not. Also, I am trying to become less obsessed with a low f-stop, as it clearly is not always what I want. But if I want it, I just really, really want it.... such a sucker for that crisp portrait and blurry background!

The color tones are just a bit cool- something you can fix with white balance- if you realize you need to fix it! Now I know that this is a general issue with my camera and I am on it. It has always been an issue, I see it when I look at older photos on my digital frame. I was just never analyzing the pictures so heavily.

Okay, other than the color being a little cool, I really love this picture.

SUCCESS! Jump rope picture was at dusk, and the grass really is mostly dead (which is intentional- but that will have to be another blogpost), so I am happy that the picture has some warmer colors. This was stopped all the way down and I slowed the shutter speed to stop the jump rope. Not a fantastic picture of Stephanie, necessarily, but I was really happy to achieve the image.
Our next time out with the camera was for an Easter egg hunt at the neighbors house. Her grass is beautiful and green, I was attentive to the white balance and generally happy with the image quality.




I brought some confetti eggs (literally eggshells that have been emptied of their eggs and filled with confetti)- they loved them, and they were pretty cool. We did a few more on Easter, and I held some back to get some fun family photos- it was too rainy on Easter to bring the camera out, but I still haven't gotten to it. Is it too late? Maybe, but I might still do it anyway.

My last problem is photo composition- and this has nothing to do with my camera. It is like what Kevin says about his race gear- it isn't the bike quality that is holding him back. At some point, the person on the bike, or in this case, holding the camera is limited by their own skills. I often realize, too late, that I needed to shift angles or take a few steps back. I am hoping that once some of the camera settings become easy and natural to adjust on the fly, I will be able to work on composition. I suspect I will never be great at it, as I haven't shown a particular inherent skill in this area- but, like anything, practice can go a long way to approach natural talent, and I have plenty of practice ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment