Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Snowpocalypse 2017: The Sled Sisters

North Carolina takes their snow seriously.  I was told by another parent on the morning of the looming storm that we should estimate one day out of school per every inch of snow.  She was clearly feeling conservative with her estimate.  Here is the reality:
1. Snow predicted to begin at 7pm, then forecast adjusts to 5pm on Friday.  School dismisses early at 11:30 Friday.
2. Rain starts before I pick Kevin up, so maybe 5:15?  Snow does eventually start, after dark. 
3.  Sleet and snow overnight.
4. Heavy wet snow on the ground Saturday morning, but thankfully large flakes fell for long enough that morning that it really felt like a snow day.  I would estimate about four inches of total accumulation.
5.  Freezing temps that had set in remained through Tuesday at noon.
6.  School resumes on Thursday at the normal time. 

It was honestly fully treacherous out until Tuesday evening, and our first outing was Wednesday, at which point cars were still abandoned on the sides of the road in our area and the driving still wasn't great on the local backroads.  They just don't have the resources to treat snow here.  Nor should they, which was abundantly obvious to me when I walked into work yesterday and thought to myself, "It feels kind of chilly, maybe I should have brought a coat?"  Today is was downright warm mid afternoon.
As previously mentioned, the snow was wet and heavy.  Not good for snow balls or snowmen, and not even really good for sledding.  Stephanie and Gwen ending up sledding in the large culvert/ditch in front of our house.  It was relatively short in length, but turned out to be long in fun.  They played in the snow every day it was on the ground, and the last day was as much fun as the first.  We were armed with hot cocoa and a fireplace, and since the snow and freezing weather is so uncommon, we really enjoyed the time that we were trapped by our NC blizzard.








The last three shots were of a legitimate crash.  They cried, I laughed.  Stephanie told me it wasn't funny.  I assured her that it was in the pictures.  She marched over to the camera, took a look at the photos and agreed.  Then she tried about 10 more times to crash on purpose.


Will it be the last snow day of the year? That is pretty likely, which is okay with me.  We are now out of built in snow days for the school district, so I am not really interested in her missing any more days-  I don't want to pay in summer weather what is fun once a year in winter weather!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Ainsley and Maya had a similar crash in which Maya cried, I laughed, and Ainsley was just mad that Maya was still in her way!

    ReplyDelete