Friday, November 8, 2013

Counter Offer

Like any nearly 3 year old worth her salt, Stephanie is learning the fine art of negotiation.  It started this summer, actually, but her skills then were limited to always negotiating for 4 of anything.  That's a fine tactic when talking about M&Ms and chicken nuggets, but it served her less well when, at the playground, I would say, "10 more minutes Stephanie" and she would say, "4 more minutes!".  Sure, you got it, kid!  Lately, though, she has really stepped up her game, and I have a few prime examples of her sharp negotiation tactics, all taking place in less than 36 hours.
It has been my habit in the last few months to have a squeeze yogurt available in the car for our commute home.  This involves me remembering to freeze squeeze yogurts, transport them to my office fridge, and then remembering to bring one with me when I leave my office, so occasionally, I don't have one, but that is fairly unusual.  Except on Monday, when I did forget to grab one from my office on my way out.  I picked her up from school, we headed out to the car, where she asked, before getting in the car, "Did you bring one or two squeeze yogurts?"  I told her I didn't bring any.  This was not well received and demands were made to go to my office to get one, which I allowed because it wasn't worth her being upset over and she had me laughing that her starting point was to ask for up to two yogurts.
Bringing us to Tuesday morning.  I had an 8:30 appointment and left the house at 8:25.  Stephanie promptly woke up at 8:28, leaving Kevin in the undesirable position of explaining that Mom was not home and no chance that I would be back for at least 35 minutes.  This is very atypical, and bound to end badly, so Kevin responded to a few rounds of "I want my Mommy!" with "Mommy isn't here, but I have been authorized to make you a very lucrative offer.  You could watch an episode of Dora or George." at which point she sniffled a bit and said, "And I want a cheese stick."  One episode of Dora and a cheese stick later, Mom was home to a drama free house, so I think that negotiation went well for everyone.
Bringing us to Tuesday night.  Stephanie has come to the realization that candy is delicious.  When we were potty training, we used M&Ms as incentives, and it worked well.  I was worried about the long term impact, but she did eventually forget about getting one after potty.  She would occasionally ask for one, and I normally would give her one, as it is unusual for her to make the request. At one point, I temporarily ran out of M&Ms, and introduced Hershey Kisses to her instead.  Lately, the request is more common, so we do say no after one or two requests in a day, but who can blame her for asking!  After a potty break last night, she asked Kevin for 2 Kisses.  Kevin said, "No, we started that with M&Ms, so you can have 2 M&Ms or 1 Kiss."  She gave this a little thought, and said, "I want one of each."  Kevin acquiesced, as one M&M in addition to the 1 Kiss he had already offered was small beans, and she had taken us a little by surprise at her compromise offer.
The part that is comical and disturbing is that this seems to all have started happening in a matter of days, even though I'm sure she was occasionally doing it for months.  She has suddenly, it would seem, realized the power of negotiation, we have, just as suddenly, realized we need to keep up with our little lawyer as we negotiate this new phase. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, she is surrounded by chemists. She's just realizing her desire to be something other than a scientist a little earlier than we all thought! Love that little lawyer!

    ReplyDelete